PRINCE2 represents a structured method of project management created from the experience of several thousand projects and contributions from hundreds of people with hands-on exposure and involvement in multiple types and sizes of projects.
Contributions from specialists such as in the areas of construction and design are isolated to focus on the management aspects of a project. Specialist contributions can always be integrated into the Prince2 method with ease creating a secure general framework for the whole project. Since Prince2 is generic in character and has its roots in proven principles, organisations adopting this method can gain substantially from improved organisational capability, apart from maturity across other areas like construction, business change, mergers and acquisitions, IT, product development, and research.
PRINCE 2 foundation and PRINCE 2 practitioner are the two certifications offered. The PRINCE 2 foundation is intended to familiarise the applicant with an overall understanding and the vocabulary used by the system as well as the capability of working as part of a project management team. The Foundation training thus aims at providing the base to become a PRINCE 2 practitioner.
Eligibility for foundation course
While no prerequisites are prescribed for eligibility to take the PRINCE 2 foundation training, a minimum of 2 years experience in any project environment is considered helpful before applying for this level of certification. Notice, however, that a pass in the Foundation level training is essential to take up the PRINCE 2 practitioner certification and progress to PRINCE 2 professional, over a period. Notice however that you may be able to skip the foundation project management courses if you already possess relevant experience as well as specified certification from IPMA or PMI where such certification is formally recognised.
The PRINCE 2 foundation examination covers 75 questions with multiple choices for every paper. Of this, 5 questions will be treated as trial and not taken into account for the scoring. 50% of the total 70 marks or 35 marks are required for a pass. 1 hour is the duration of the test. This test can be taken either at an ATO or online. You should be using a webcam if you are taking the online version of the test.
How do you benefit from the PRINCE 2 certification?
The PRINCE 2 certification aims at bringing the following key benefits to those who pass the certification examination.
- Communication and planning
- Clarity on responsibilities and roles
- Hassle free and transparent monitoring
- Consistent tasks
- Helps build an approach driven by results
Once you are awarded the PRINCE 2 certification, you will have the skills to manage projects and complete them successfully within your workforce confidently. The PRINCE 2system will give conventional procedures, systems and language. Further, it will provide greater control over resources and the ability to manage project and business risk with higher levels of efficiency. Chances of your making mistakes will be fewer, and you will also learn from the odd mistakes that you do make. Collectively, these will lead to saving effort as well as money.
Advantages of implementing PRINCE 2
Organisations can significantly benefit by implementing PRINCE2. It is recognised internationally as the standard for project management because it encompasses several years of time tested and best practices in project management providing an adaptable and flexible approach that can be applied to projects of all descriptions and sizes. It provides a framework covering a wide range of activities and disciplines within the project. In other words, PRINCE2 is the formal recognition of the responsibilities that are part of the project and focuses on the deliverables of a project providing the organisation with:-
- A consistent and common approach
- An organised and controlled start, mid path, and end
- Reviewing the progress at regular intervals against the plan and business case with flexible points in decision-making
- Assuring that your project continues to enjoy business justification
- Management control for potential plan deviations
- Involving stakeholders and management in the project at the right place and time, across the project cycle.
- Healthy communication channels among the project management team, the project and other functions in the organisation.
- A tool to capture and share the lessons learned
- A route to enrich project management expertise and competency of your staff, across all levels.
Why organisations should adopt a Project management tool/method
Directors and managers of a project can benefit immensely from project management systems/tools such as PRINCE 2. It empowers them with controllable deployment and use of available resources as well as the ability to manage the project and business risk with higher levels of efficiency.
PRINCE 2 is an embodiment of proven and established best practices in project management. It is also widely understood and recognised giving all participants in a project a common language.
PRINCE 2 is also compatible with every other project management system since it is built on the technical structure adopted by the framework for a given project complementing the soft skills gained from other qualifications.
How the PRINCE2 certification helps individuals
- The benefits of PRINCE 2 Certification is not limited to organisations. At the individual level, one can look forward to the following benefits accruing over a period:-
- Improved efficiency in service delivery
- The clear roadmap laid out by the project management system helps in steering clear of potential potholes and bumps helping individuals work smarter rather than harder.
- Improved customer satisfaction – Efficient project management leaves your clients happier and perhaps a wee bit wealthier too. Adding more happy clients obviously is the objective of any business.
- Better reputation – as you add more successful projects under your belt, word spreads and your standing and valuation in the marketplace, moves up sharply.
- Development and growth within the team – positive results contribute to enhanced command and respect, apart from inspiring your team towards continuing the performance with higher efficiency
- Opportunities to explore new horizons – Once you establish your expertise with project management, you are empowered to explore new horizons in your career path.
Summing up, a PRINCE 2 certification has immense benefits for individuals as well as organisations adapting this project management tool.